The incoming committee leaders are as follows:
- Paul Ryan – Ways and Means Committee. This committee handles writing of the tax code and will prove important during Obama’s final two years in office.
- Jason Chaffetz – Oversight and Government Reform. This committee looks into questionable government activity. Darrell Issa used it to go after the Obama administration on the “Fast & Furious” scandal.
- Michael Conaway of Texas will take over the Agriculture Committee
- Mac Thornberry of Texas will take over the Armed Services Committee
- Tom Price of Georgia will chair the Budget Committee. He is largely expected to craft a budget to reduce the federal deficit.
- Devin Nunes will chair the Intelligence Committee
- Rob Bishop of Utah will chair the Natural Resource Committee
- John Kline will chair the House Education and Workforce Committee
Congressman Jeb Hensarling will remain in the position of chairman of the Financial Services Committee. He has taken up positions very popular within the party, but has lost most of his battles against the president.